UNSC MJOLNIR EOD Variant Helmet

Since I decided to stick my website on Stumble Upon, I realized that people would probably want to see more then just one post about my MJOLNIR Mk VI and an intro post. So instead of putting the EOD post up this Friday, I decided to throw it up today so that all of you can see some more (hopefully) cool stuff.

On to business. The MJOLNIR EOD Variant Helmet.

The EOD (Explosive Ordinance Disposal) helmet is one of Halo 3’s multiplayer helmet variants that you can unlock for a certain achievement. I don’t know said achievement, and nor do I own a 360, but the EOD helmet is pretty cool. It looks more engineer-like then most of the other helmets, and it’s a homage (insult) to the Killzone series.

Same as before, model came from here, and the Pepakura designer software came from here.

First step, just like the Mk-VI standard helmet featured below, was to build the whole base model out of paper. Being the homely dolt that I am, I didn’t take a single picture of the helmet. I do have pictures of the resin and fiberglassing, though, so you should get about the same results.

Hayabusa Is Stoopad.

Long view Pep'd EOD

Then the bondo:

Bondo'd EOD

No finished, unpainted versions of the bondo phase, so we’ll jump right on into the final painted version. I gave the EOD my own, personal multiplayer paint scheme, steel and green, and I tried to get the most game authentic paints I could get my hands on. The helmet was heavily weathered with an airbrush, and the silver chips you see were silver spots that I covered with mustard before adding the main color coats. After the main color coats dried, I chipped the mustard off and cleaned the excess mustard with a moist paper towel.

Dramatic EOD

The eyes were done using a transparent acrylic plastic that was vacuum formed over a clay mold. After I cut the plates out, I airbrushed a light coat of an aluminum metalizer over them to create a silver, reflective surface, but still retain a decent amount of visibility. Once the metalizers were dried and polished with a soft cloth, a 5-1 mixture of transparent amber to transparent red paints were airbrushed over the metalizer, giving the eyes their golden color.

Visibility really sucks, and I wouldn’t try to read with the helmet on, but its more then enough for navigation and obstacle avoidance.

Right EOD Complete

With the way things turned out, I think I prefer the EOD over my MK-VI in terms of quality, but the MK-VI still remains my favorite.

Next posted project after this will be my 1/48th scale Messerschmitt BF-109 E4/TROP model.

UNSC SPARTAN-II MJOLNIR MK-VI Helmet

Since the creation of my blog, nothing new has been done, and I’ve promised myself to update this every Friday with SOMETHING. For the first few weeks, I decided to just do posts on past projects.

So today, we have my first armor project, the UNSC SPARTAN-II MJOLNIR MK-VI Helmet. Finished this in mid-2008, it’s been the center piece of my armor collection so far, despite a number of short comings (how smooth it is, number of details removed, visor, etc etc etc). All the same, I’m quite proud of it, and it bears a lot of sentimental value.

Of we go then!

We start in early 2008 with the base model, a Robogenisis (405th Infantry Division member) Mark-VI MJOLNIR Helmet, better known as the Master Chief’s helmet from Halo 2-3. The base model was a form of cut+paste paper components that fit together like a 3D puzzle.

This is a process that has been dubbed Pepakura, and the software is available for download and purchase here. Models are best located by Google, but most of the best Halo models are available here.

Pepakura Mk-VI

Once the paper pattern was finished up, the whole thing was coated in automotive fiberglassing resin (available at most hardware stores) and covered the interior of the helmet with fiberglass, which gave it a significant degree of durability.

With the whole helmet coated in fiberglass and resin, you can now toss it around fairly safely. It can still shatter in an impact, but it’s no longer floppy and flexible.

Next step: apply bondo to all of the places I want to be smooth on the helmet, then sand. This is probably the trickiest step of the process.

Rough right

As you can see, it looks smoother then before. This isn’t a fully finished version of the helmet, so there are still a few nicks and bumps in awkward places.

Painting time!

Near-Complete right

Helmet received an olive drab coat of paint over a black under layer that was masked off to create the detail places you can see in this image. This coat of paint was a satin coat, so it had a slight sheen to it, which I didn’t really like on this helmet. Next step is lights and the grills that fill in the gaps at the front of the mouth piece.

Ignoring the poor image quality, you can now see the helmet has received three finishing touches: LEDs on the sides for sweeto-blindo vision, black grime in the grooves, and the grills on the jaw plate.

This was the final iteration of my MK-VI helmet before I repainted the whole thing with a cherry red and flat black coat for my local robotics team.

Next week, my UNSC MJOLNIR MK-VI EOD variant helmet!

UPDATE March 4, 2012:

So I’ve repainted my Mk-VI more times then I can count, so I’ll just post my most recent paintjob of the Mk-VI.

Along with the new cherry paint job, I also sealed off the gap between the visor and the helmet’s jaw, as well as added the triangular inserts on the front.

Mk-VI - Red (V5) Right

Mk-VI - Red (V5) Left

Mk-VI - Red (V5) Back

Up and running to a degree

Decided to make the switch from Blogspot to WordPress, and so far, I’m liking WordPress. Seems alot more customizable then Blogspot was, and the interface is a tad more intuitive.

Anyway, I’m working on making it look good, etc. So hopefully by the end of the week, it’ll be lookin’ snazzy.

Hopefully.